Twenty-Fourth District PTA will award up to three (3) individual scholarships designed to assist emerging PTA leaders in attending the 2017 California State PTA Convention in San Jose on April 28-30, 2017.
A maximum of $440 per person will be awarded as a reimbursement after receipts are submitted with an expense form and convention report. Receipts, expense forms and convention reports must be received no later than May 15, 2017 (late submission will disqualify reimbursement). The $440 maximum award includes up to $220 for convention registration and up to $220 for one hotel room night. Scholarship recipients will be announced at our Administrators’ Dinner and Annual Meeting on March 23, 2017. Please note that these scholarships will be awarded to individual PTA members, not to PTA units, and are not transferable.
Scholarship applications are due NO LATER THAN MARCH 1, 2017. Please see the application below for submission information.
Our annual Administrators Dinner and Election Meeting is coming up on March 23rd. See the postcard below or the Administrators Dinner page for details and RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 8th! Don’t miss a night of great food and great fun!
The nominating committee has approved the following slate of officers for nomination for the 2017-2019 Twenty-Fourth District PTA Executive Board:
- President: Lisa McCracken
- 1st Vice-President – Leadership: Melinda Kirkland
- 2nd Vice-President – Programs: Patty Revalee
- 3rd Vice-President – Membership: Karen Clement
- 4th Vice-President – Communications: OPEN
- 5th Vice-President – Community Concerns: Evan McCracken
- 6th Vice-President – Legislation: Stephanie Hale
- Secretary: Barbara Harris
- Treasurer: Bea Jansen
- Auditor: OPEN
- Historian: Erin McCracken
- *Parliamentarian: Diana Wright
- *Hospitality: Bonnie Downing
- *Unit Information Officer: OPEN
- *Student Representative: OPEN
- *Area Representative: OPEN
Elections for the 2017-2019 Twenty-Fourth District PTA Executive Board will be held at our annual Administrator’s Dinner and Association Meeting on Thursday, March 23rd (6:30pm, Nipomo High School Olympic Hall). Additional nominations may be made from the floor during the election portion of the meeting.
*These positions are filled by appointment and any association votes with respect to them are advisory in nature.
The third annual San Luis Obispo County Battle of the Books will be held on Saturday, June 10, 2016 at C.L. Smith Elementary School.
All 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students in San Luis Obispo County who have read at least 5 Battle Books from the 2017 Book List are eligible for this FREE COMPETITION.
Registration opens April 1, 2017
Just a reminder, the January Association meeting is tonight 1/23/17 @ 6pm. The meeting will be hosted by the San Benito PTA in the cafeteria.
All unit presidents were mailed an updated copy of the Insurance and Loss Prevention Guide in mid-November. A Certificate of Liability Insurance for 2017 can be found on page 2 of that Guide. Also included in that packet was a blank Workers Compensation Annual Payroll Report along with instructions and a sample form. California law requires Workers Compensation Reports to be completed by EVERY PTA even if no one was paid. Please send your completed and signed report to Stephanie Hale, Twenty-Fourth District PTA Treasurer, by NO LATER THAN January 10th, 2017. You can either scan and email the completed report to email@example.com or mail it to the address used for membership remittances.
We now have a Facebook group set up so current PTA officers in San Luis Obispo County can ask questions and share information with each other, as well as with Twenty-Fourth District PTA. This private group is called SLO County PTA and members must be added. If you’d like to join, search for SLO County PTA on Facebook and send a request to an admin today.
Hello PTA leaders!
Welcome to another fabulous school year! I know that we are all incredibly busy with the start of a new year and all the work that entails, but I wanted to make sure you get a few key pieces of information.
- 24th District PTA has a new board for 2015-2017. There are many returning faces and also some new ones. Our Board Directory page lists all board members and their contact information so you will know who to contact and how to reach us for anything you need.
- The first 24th District PTA Association meeting of the year will be held on Monday, September 21st from 6 – 8 pm at the History Center of San Luis Obispo County (696 Monterey Street). The History Center currently has an exhibit on one of our PTA founders – Phoebe Apperson Hearst: California’s Grande Dame. After our (short) association meeting, you can tour the exhibit at no cost to you! This will be a fun way to kick off our PTA year together so come meet our board and California State PTA President Justine Fischer, get your questions answered and learn more about Phoebe Apperson Hearst!
- We will be voting to approve updated bylaws for 24th District at our September 21st meeting. These bylaws are an update to the 2015 version with no changes from previously approved bylaws. If you would like a copy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send you a PDF version.
- We will again be offering one “full-ride” scholarship to Convention this year for one lucky PTA! Any PTA in good standing which sends at least one representative to every 24th District PTA Association meeting from now through March will be entered in the scholarship drawing. This is worth approximately $1000, so be sure you have a representative there!
- We have membership envelopes and cards! If you are in need of either or both, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what you need.
Finally, the 24th District PTA Board would like to know how we can serve you and your members better. We are all volunteers and parents, just like you, and we are here to help you make your PTA as successful as possible. So please take a very short survey (https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LZ9DSKM) and let us know what you need and want so that together we can continue our amazing work for the children of San Luis Obispo County.
Thank you for all you do!
Melinda Kirkland, President
Welcome to all new and returning PTA members and officers! I hope that you are all having a great summer and preparing for a fantastic start to the school year in August!
The 24th District PTA has already been hard at work doing what we can to help you all be successful during the coming year. We have a new board in place and you can find all of our contact information on our “Board Directory” page. Our “Unit Resources” page has also been updated with current versions of the forms you need and use frequently. Please check back here often, as we will continue to update and add useful information throughout the year.
If you need any assistance, or have questions or concerns related to PTA, our board members are here to help you – even during summer “vacation”! We look forward to working with you in the coming year!
Melinda Kirkland, President
24th District PTA