It’s a lucky day to be PTA!
Please join Twenty-Fourth District PTA for a tri-tip dinner
(veggie kebob available by request) and our annual meeting on
Thursday, March 17th at Morro Bay High School.
Registration begins at 6:45pm; dinner and program start at 7.
The President-Elect of the California State PTA, Dianna MacDonald,
will inspire you as our guest speaker. We will also select our “full-ride” Convention scholarship winner!
This event is FREE for three members of your PTA so RSVP today to email@example.com or 805-703-3228 (texts ok).
We now have a Facebook group set up so current PTA officers in San Luis Obispo County can ask questions and share information with each other, as well as with Twenty-Fourth District PTA. This private group is called SLO County PTA and members must be added. If you’d like to join, search for SLO County PTA on Facebook and send a request to an admin today.
Below is a link to our agenda for the next Twenty-Fourth District PTA association meeting, which will take place on Monday, November 16th at 6:30pm at Grover Heights Elementary (in the Library) in Grover Beach. The business portion of the meeting will again be very short so that you can spend as much time as possible sharing and networking with your fellow PTA board members. Also below is a link to an informational flier about the meeting, including such useful information as the school address. Twenty-Fourth District PTA will provide refreshments and there is an optional gift exchange as well as a voluntary toy drive for Seasons of Hope. We hope that you will join us for this fun evening!
Looking forward to seeing you!
P.S. – Remember that only units who send a representative to every District association meeting will be eligible for the fabulous “full-ride” convention scholarship we will award in March. Don’t miss your chance to win this valuable prize for your PTA!
The first Twenty-Fourth District PTA Association meeting of the year will be held on Monday, September 21st from 6 – 8 pm at the History Center of San Luis Obispo County (696 Monterey Street). The History Center currently has an exhibit on one of our PTA founders – Phoebe Apperson Hearst: California’s Grande Dame. After our (short) association meeting, you can tour the exhibit at no cost to you! This will be a fun way to kick off our PTA year together so come meet our board and California State PTA President Justine Fischer, get your questions answered and learn more about Phoebe Apperson Hearst! Refreshments will be served and lots of information and handouts will be available. If you haven’t yet RSVP’d, please do so by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so we have enough chairs for everyone.
Hello PTA leaders!
Welcome to another fabulous school year! I know that we are all incredibly busy with the start of a new year and all the work that entails, but I wanted to make sure you get a few key pieces of information.
- 24th District PTA has a new board for 2015-2017. There are many returning faces and also some new ones. Our Board Directory page lists all board members and their contact information so you will know who to contact and how to reach us for anything you need.
- The first 24th District PTA Association meeting of the year will be held on Monday, September 21st from 6 – 8 pm at the History Center of San Luis Obispo County (696 Monterey Street). The History Center currently has an exhibit on one of our PTA founders – Phoebe Apperson Hearst: California’s Grande Dame. After our (short) association meeting, you can tour the exhibit at no cost to you! This will be a fun way to kick off our PTA year together so come meet our board and California State PTA President Justine Fischer, get your questions answered and learn more about Phoebe Apperson Hearst!
- We will be voting to approve updated bylaws for 24th District at our September 21st meeting. These bylaws are an update to the 2015 version with no changes from previously approved bylaws. If you would like a copy, please email email@example.com and I will send you a PDF version.
- We will again be offering one “full-ride” scholarship to Convention this year for one lucky PTA! Any PTA in good standing which sends at least one representative to every 24th District PTA Association meeting from now through March will be entered in the scholarship drawing. This is worth approximately $1000, so be sure you have a representative there!
- We have membership envelopes and cards! If you are in need of either or both, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and let us know what you need.
Finally, the 24th District PTA Board would like to know how we can serve you and your members better. We are all volunteers and parents, just like you, and we are here to help you make your PTA as successful as possible. So please take a very short survey (https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LZ9DSKM) and let us know what you need and want so that together we can continue our amazing work for the children of San Luis Obispo County.
Thank you for all you do!
Melinda Kirkland, President
Welcome to all new and returning PTA members and officers! I hope that you are all having a great summer and preparing for a fantastic start to the school year in August!
The 24th District PTA has already been hard at work doing what we can to help you all be successful during the coming year. We have a new board in place and you can find all of our contact information on our “Board Directory” page. Our “Unit Resources” page has also been updated with current versions of the forms you need and use frequently. Please check back here often, as we will continue to update and add useful information throughout the year.
If you need any assistance, or have questions or concerns related to PTA, our board members are here to help you – even during summer “vacation”! We look forward to working with you in the coming year!
Melinda Kirkland, President
24th District PTA
On Saturday, May 30th, 2015 the 24th District PTA will hold a training event for all PTA officers, board members, and interested PTA volunteers in San Luis Obispo County. Training will be held at Los Osos Middle School (1555 El Morro Avenue, Los Osos) and will run from 9 am to 3 pm. Continental breakfast and a light lunch will be provided. There is a small fee for this event of $10 per PTA member or $25 per PTA for 3 or more members from the same school. RSVP’s are requested by no later than Monday, May 25th for planning purposes. Please reserve your spot by completing the following brief survey : https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7W85VYZ
The nominating committee has approved the following slate of officers for nomination for the 2015-2017 24th District PTA executive board:
- President: Melinda Kirkland
- 1st Vice-President – Programs: Tiffany Revalee
- 2nd Vice-President – Community Concerns: Hailee Revalee
- 3rd Vice-President – Legislation: Clint Weirick
- 4th Vice-President – Communications: Evan McCracken
- 5th Vice-President – Membership: Bonnie Downing
- 6th Vice-President – Leadership: Patty Revalee
- Secretary: Diana Wright
- Treasurer: Stephanie Hale
- *Unit Information Officer: Lisa McCracken
- Historian: Karen Clement
- *Hospitality: Monica Whelan
- *Student Representative: Lizzy Kirkland
Elections for the 2015-2017 24th District PTA executive board will be held at our annual Administrator’s Dinner and Association Meeting on Thursday, March 19th (6pm, Paso Robles Culinary Arts Academy). Additional nominations may be made from the floor during the election portion of the meeting.
*These positions are filled by appointment and all association votes with respect to them are advisory in nature.
Here is some GREAT NEWS about an activity FOR ALL 4th-6th grade students. The Twenty-Fourth District PTA is hosting a countywide competition for Battle of the Books! The event is FREE and will take place on Saturday, April 18, 2015beginning at 9 am. The grand battle will begin at 2 pm.
If you are not familiar with Battle of the Books (or BOB, as many of us call it), you can read the details of it at the Battle of the Books website.
Sign-ups will be through this website beginning March 1, 2015. Registration will run through March 31 or until 200 students have registered (whichever comes first).
To qualify, students must
- be residents of San Luis Obispo County
- attend a public, private or home-school environment within SLO County
- have read at least five (5) books* on the BOB List of Books – If you are holding a battle at your site, our Book List 2015 should match yours.
Help us promote his event by telling your friends and neighbors about it.
To learn more about this wonderful event, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are also seeking volunteers for this event. It takes a lot of generous people to make this event successful for the kids. Volunteer signups will also, open on March 1, 2015.
* Some books are offered and may be read in Spanish, but during the battle all questions and answers must be given in English.